Tuesday, March 18, 2008

As The World Spins...

If there is not one thing going on around here in my life, it's something else. It seems like we live from drama to drama. I'm really not making this stuff up. It's really happening. Believe me, I double checked.

Our new episode in this series, As The World Spins, my mother has been laid up with a bad bout of what could perhaps be gout in her foot which means that I've been very, very busy. After a few days of excruciating pain, a doctor's appointment was made and I was her chauffeur. We borrowed a wheel chair to get her down from her apartment and to the car. Then from the curb at the medical center, the dear valet guys brought us a wheel chair to use to get her up to the doctor's office.

In the process of getting her out of the car, the lock button was hit and the door was shut. It occurred to me at that point that the car was running with my keys locked inside. What does one do at that point when there are a line of cars waiting their turn to use the valet service? Well, you call Onstar. I was instantly thrown into an Onstar commercial. I called my husband, who then called those wonderful people at Onstar who almost instantly had my car unlocked and the line of cars behind me in motion once again. As the valet person was walking away from me, I heard him jingling my keys while he was saying, "Thank God for Onstar." I have to agree with him.

Today, she had a follow up appointment which meant we did it all again only this time, I made sure I left my door open....just in case. The doctor gave her some really cool medicine that does fun stuff to your innards. Hopefully, the side effects don't outweigh the good it's suppose to be doing. Then I thought, uh oh, hopefully her bum foot doesn't slow her down too much to get to the bathroom.....I'm the one doing her laundry. (Sorry, Mom...you know I love ya!) I have my limitations. Ask my husband how well I handle ick. Let's just say it doesn't bring out the best in me.

So now that I've blurted out my poor mother's woe's to the world and beyond, I have hopes that she will find the laughter in all of this because life truly has it's funny moments even in the midst of pain.

2 comments:

momwithbrownies said...

Hoveround

http://www.hoveround.com/

:-)

Anonymous said...

Don't worry. Mary offered her services on the clean up duty, but so far so good :-) M