Friday, August 04, 2006

Ryan is five now....

Our happy faced, endless ball of energy bounced out of bed on the day of his birthday yelling "I'm five now". As he glanced down at his 'now age five' legs, he became apparently upset. I asked him what was wrong and he replied....my legs are suppose to be long now but they aren't. Suppressing complete laughter at his comment, I assured him that God made him just the right size and Mama wasn't ready for him to be as tall as her yet.

In celebration of his birthday, I agreed to take the kids to Chuck E. Cheeses after lunch. As we all piled in the car, the excited voices grew with each mile we got closer to the long awaited funland. Once we got our hand stamped, everyone started taking off in their own direction. I thought to myself, what in the world made me think that this was a good idea. Think about this.....Mom in tow with newborn, two year old, five year old, eight year old and an eleven year old to a land of excitable, hyper children of all ages....and lots of them. I quickly told the two older ones to watch their 'buddy'...yeah, right! As each one scampered off to their own destination, I thought to myself....you are one crazy lady!

Needless to say, I spent the whole time chasing after the younger ones while the older ones were scattered here and there. How in the world do you keep track of your kids in a place like that and keep your sanity? In one of my laps around the room, I ran into an old boyfriend. Let me add....very weird introducing my children to his children. He was there having 'dad's day out' with his kids. I find it very funny that out of all the places I run into someone from my past....it had to be there. Ryan told me later....he liked that nice man. He was his friend. Ughhh.

Later, we fixed Ryan's choice for dinner...hot dogs, chips, pop and no vegetable. Grandpa and Grandma came to visit and share in all the festivities. I wonder sometimes if perhaps all this excitement that exudes from this house is too much for those who are past toddler years or haven't as yet embraced this season of life....I can only imagine getting into my car to leave a household such as mine, and hear the complete silence...along with a sigh of relief that I actually could hear myself think...again, I can only imagine....

As I kissed my spiderman clothed, little 'I'm five now' boy goodnight, he promptly tells me how much he loves me and how very glad he is finally five. Maybe when he is six....he'll be big!

No comments: