Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Home, Home on the Range....

It all began with a little boy named Aaron...

We were out with some very important people...I like to call them friends. I had left the children home in the care of their loving Grandmother with strict instructions that they were to in no shape or form cause Grandma grief. An hour into our lovely evening, I hear my cell phone ringing insistently. I thought to myself...oh no. I don't want to answer that because I just have a feeling that there is one of two things that I am going to hear. Door number one being an eleven year old boy nagging me about something he wants to do or eat or door number two which leads to information on a two year old that he could potentially be AWOL or has finally succeeded at 'bringing down the house!'

After answering the phone most cautiously, I found that I was to take door number two. In the process of getting his cuteness to bed, he decided to, once again, try to pack the toilet full of anything he could get his paws on. I was told there was toilet paper, cardboard, Grace's toys and hair pieces and who knows what else. I was also told that the 'wee ones' decided to flush it which led to it overflowing. Of course, my initial response was spoken with a knot in my stomach and a desperate feeling to run screaming into the night....please, I said, please just tell me it wasn't the 'new' bathroom. The bathroom we agonized over with State Farm to repair after the damage done to it in November. Please just let it not be that bathroom. To my utter dismay, the answer came with a quiet voice that it was indeed the 'new' bathroom.

They assured me that they had gotten it all cleaned up with minimal damage, however, it was not usable...a clog of all clogs. We ended the conversation with locking the bathroom door and that Daddy would check it out when he got home. Upon arrival to our home, Bob went upstairs to plunge and snake out the toilet, all the while muttering that he loves his kids. After awhile it seemed to be in working order.

Monday morning happened. The downstairs toilet had been used and up it came into the bathtub. After taking a deep breathe and counting to ten...(million), I yelled to Bob that we had an urgent problem. We immediately called some friends that were willing to swing by and fix it. I am so very thankful that these kinds of problems seem to happen before Bob leaves for work. I am sure that he thinks differently.

After super snaking out the toilet, you will never guess what they found. Previously, I had blogged about a certain spiderman outfit that was well-loved and worn day after day. Yep, you guessed it. They pulled up a piece of the mask...at least, I think it was the mask. I haven't found the outfit yet which leads me to wonder what else got flushed. Oh my goodness, I thought to myself....the possibilities are endless in this house.

After reassembling the toilet and returning the rented machinery, we found that the upstairs toilet was still not working properly. Off Bob went for the fifth time that day to Home Depot, to now purchase a new toilet. Our choice, you may ask, was the 'champion' of all toilets. I believe it sucks down golf balls, toys and small children in 10 seconds flat. And that is what we purchased. If you are ever in the area, swing by for a look-see. It is something of a phenomenon.

$550 later for parts, labor and rentals, I only have one question.....

How am I going to tell our five year old, that his beloved spiderman mask has left this world never to be seen again?

...at least, I think it was the mask.


No comments: