Friday, March 12, 2010

Pain Treatment - Round 3

It's been a couple of weeks since my husbands last treatment with the pain shots in his back. Unfortunately, we've seen no relief from all three sets. It's extremely disappointing as I was sure this was going to help if only to dull the pain some which would have been a welcome result. We knew this was a possibility but yet, when you are in that much pain, you hold onto every hope that something...anything will work.

Our family doctor also ran a panel of blood work on his immune system before we proceed to seeing a immunologist. We received the results on that this week. Everything came back negative. This is great news, however, we are still at a loss as to what is causing this debilitating pain. He's seen so many doctors and had so many tests but still remains to be undiagnosed. Frustration doesn't come close to how we are feeling.

We are currently waiting on one more test result to come back. He had an EMG last week to see if they could pinpoint which nerve set is causing the problem. Hopefully, they will call soon. The waiting on test results is driving me nutty.

I'm not sure what is coming next. We need to talk to the doctor after we get this last test result back. It's a feeling of helplessness. We have exhausted so many different avenues but nothing is being revealed. Bob has been in more pain then he usually is this week if that is possible. I feel so desperate for answers so we can proceed with some kind of treatment, some kind of relief. Watching him sob from the pain and the weariness of dealing with it day after day is so draining emotionally for all of us.

It's so hard for me to hold onto hope when there just doesn't seem to be any answers or any hope of finding one. I know that God has this situation in His hands and that He has a plan for this. It's almost impossible for me in my humanness to even contemplate how any good can come from this. This is especially difficult when I feel like we are merely existing and trying to get through each hour without losing it. Sometimes when his pain level is at it's highest and he's had all the pain meds he can take, all I can do is sit there and hold his hand praying that God will give us both the courage and strength to make it through. It's my faith in Christ and not my feelings that I have to hold onto. My feelings are so undependable but God is not. He knows our pain. He supplies our needs, that also includes emotional needs and is working this all out no matter what state of mind I may be in.

We've both been fighting discouragement the last few weeks and are so appreciative of the prayers that have gone up on our behalf. This race we are running is a tough one and all the support we've been shown has been like a cool, refreshing cup of water that inspires us to get up and continue moving forward. So thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your friendship, for your love and for your prayers as we continue to search for some answers.

No comments: