Thursday, December 21, 2006

Miss Popularity

What does the word integrity mean to you?

Dictionary.com states that it is adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.

I recently had to purchase a gift certificate at the local Speedway. I thought that I would just run in there one day on the way home from one of my adventures. While I was in there, I thought what a great opportunity to get a Mountain Dew for myself because there was no one in the car with me that would give me 'Mr. Sad Face'. I would not have to share.

With an extra bounce in my step, I took my items up to the counter to check out. In the process of chatting with the clerk and gathering my newly purchased items, I did not notice that he forgot to charge me for my Mountain Dew. As I was leaving the parking lot, I glanced over at my receipt. All of the sudden it dawned on me that two plus two didn't equal four.

Now let me ask you...be honest here....what would you do? What if you got all the way back home before you realized that you were not charged for something. Would you think, well...it was their fault. Today is my lucky day. Or would your conscience be unsettled till you rectified the matter? To what end would you go to fix the situation or would you instantly push it out of your mind..never to be thought of again?

This is me: Mrs. Conscience Unsettled. I drove back to the store and paid for my Mountain Dew. I don't tell you this to pat myself on my back. I honestly would not be able to sleep tonight if I didn't do that. I believe that God calls us to be people of integrity even when nobody is looking or cares. Now if the clerk said, it's on the house...at that point, I would think it was my lucky day!

The fun part of this story is the fact that when I did go back in to pay for my Mountain Dew (no, it wasn't on the house), I did surprise the clerk so much so he didn't know what to say. After the shock wore off, he called a couple other clerks over to meet the person who came back to pay for her purchase. They kept thanking me over and over again. Now I realize that the price of a pop is not going to make or break Speedway but I think the moral implications of this situation has a deep affect on the people involved. As I was walking out of the store, waving my hand like I was Queen for the day, at the regular people of the village, I was feeling like what I did was important seen or not seen.

....and as I glugged down that cool citrus flavored liquid, I enjoyed every little molecule of flavor as it lingered on my tongue without an ounce of regret.

1 comment:

momwithbrownies said...

**raising my hand as one who wouldn't be able to sleep either**

One time, at the bank, my mom and I were withdrawing money and the teller gave her 60 extra dollars. After we counted it, we turned around, drove through the window and gave it back to her. The woman said, "Thank you."

That's it..nothing else..not so much as a smile..zip! Silly Goose! or she was having a terrible time in her life a needed prayer...that just dawned on me. :-( Maybe I should have prayed for her instead of feeling slighted? I was only 19 though so cut me some slack! LOL