Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Hackles Are Up Again...

I recently had to take a couple of my children to the doctor because of illness. I'm always leary of running there too quickly as I feel that they may get cured of one virus but they often come home with another.

On this particular trip, we were called back by what I call the Nazi Nurse. There is always the routine of getting on the scale and getting your height. I've had this nurse in the past and although, she seems a bit rough around the edges, she has been pretty patient with my kids. I always appreciate that in a Higgleytown Hero. (Some of you...have no idea what that is. Ask me sometime and I'll sing you the song that goes along with one of many favorite shows of my kids).

Upon getting weighed, the Nazi Nurse made a disapproving comment to one of my children and decided to take it upon her not-so-thin self, to get an attitude which she took out on my kids who are now traumatized even more so by a strep throat test that was done so roughly. Now in the medical field, I would assume the medical staff would come into contact with people of all shapes and sizes. I ask this....why in the world, if you are big yourself, would you get an attitude of disrespect and feel it necessary to treat someone, especially a child, in that manner. I don't get it. If I was the mayor, she most certainly would have lost her Higgleytown hero badge and most certainly would have been boo'd off the show.

I chose not to address the issue as it happened because I didn't want to draw attention to the matter while little ears were with me. Well, today I had to go back and I began dreading it because I knew she was there. It occurred to me that I should not have to feel that way. If there were not families who had their own personal parking space at the doctors office from being their one millionth customer or were know by their first name, such badgeless nazi nurses would be tormenting some other poor creature in a different profession.

After the examination, I decided to address the situation with the doctor while I was there. He listened very intently and his response was this....I'm so sorry, Mrs. Peanut Butter Kisses. We will take care of that right away and he whisked out the door most promptly. Upon his return, he profusely apologized again and again. Let it be known that I've told people in the past, that I would certainly fall on the floor from the shock of it all if someone actually did the right thing and said that very thing. Now it has happened. Now I know that it can happen. There is hope.

For those of you who I told that too, please forgive me...I didn't fall on the floor as I was holding my baby at the time. I will, at a future date, when I have some help to get back up...do so in your honor.

2 comments:

HISchild said...

In the words of another TV Character, "HOW RUDE!".

At least the doc had enough ooomph to stand up and address the issue.

Good for you for standing up too!

momwithbrownies said...

Awesome! I would venture a guess that you are not the only family she has done that to but because you did the right thing you may be the last family she does that to.

Go Peanut Butter Kisses Go!!