Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Spiritual Growth

As a mother, I love to experience life with my kids. To me, experiencing their spiritual growth, is one of the most important. I cannot put it into words to properly describe how much it means to me.

We had a great service on Sunday. Yes, I actually got to sit through it and hear it, all at the same time. It was one of those rare moments. It happened to be the Sunday that communion was being served. Now, I know that many parents allow their kids to take communion at a young age but we have not allowed it.

To me, communion is a very personal and special time between the Lord and oneself. It is a very serious thing to take it and before I allow my children to partake of it, I want them to understand what it means. I don't want them taking it, thinking that it's snack time or sitting through it snickering, poking fun at it nor do I wish for them to take it for granted, leaving it with no meaning.

Grace has been asking about it recently and after much discussion, we've decided that she is ready to take that step. She's also been asking about baptism and expressing interest in doing that. I'm so excited that she's feeling prompted in that direction and is feeling God leading her there. It will be interesting to continue to see that play out in her life.

She took communion with us on Sunday. I thought it was her first time, but found out later that she had taken it at Jerusalem Temple, a church she visited with some friends of ours, down in the city. I was a bit disappointed at that because I really wanted to be with her when she decided to take it but after she explained what happened and how connected she felt, my disappointment dissipated a bit. I'm just grateful that I was there with her this time.

I want to explain that I'm totally not an overbearing, controlling parent, just a very involved parent who desires to experience all that I can with each one of my children. I am amazed at her spiritual growth as well as some of my other children. I don't remember being that way when I was their age. My mom was always talking to us about God and she was always willing to answer any and all questions we had. We went to church all the time. I had Grandparents always talking about God and His affect for change on our family. I knew from all of these things, that God was very real and I could see very real evidence of his care in our lives.

Perhaps, it's because they are home with us for their schooling which integrates God through every subject, along with all the other ways we help them understand their relationship with Christ through His blood sacrifice. Perhaps, it's the prayers their Grandparents have said over the years. Whatever, the reason, I'm am so grateful for it. I pray that their hearts will continue to be tender towards God and that they continue to seek Him out everyday of their lives.

1 comment:

missy said...

We are the same way with our daughter and communion. Last month she started expressing interest in taking part, and we are slowly explaining the significance to her, making sure she's doing it in the right state of mind and not just because all her friends get to do it!

By the way, I just happened across your blog and looked around a bit...you've got such cute kids! I bet you are so proud of them all.