Friday, October 06, 2006

I Must Painfully Admit....

Recently my oldest son has been exhibiting some evidence that he is not feeling well. When asked, his only response is that he wishes his cough would just let him sleep. That, in my opinion, doesn't tell me a whole lot since I believe he has some allergies that have not been confirmed. My inclination is to just let it go as it's probably one of two things. The first being that it is probably just a cold virus which the medical professionals can do nothing about except prescribe you some horrid tasting cough syrup that is obvious nobody in that field has administered to their own families or themselves because it would be recalled off the market in search of something more humanly tolerable to the tongue. The second being perhaps something related to allergies as it is prime allergy season which the medical professional can't do much about except prescribe an allergy test which includes lots of pricking with a pointy object, or prescribe you some medication that treats a clogged nose but gives you a foggy brain.

Now let me just note here so some of you don't take offense, I do know for a fact that there are some life threatening allergies out there that need immediate attention and I am thankful for the medications and shots that are available for them. In our particular case, it's just a bit of drainage, phlegm and in our son's case, spitting. I hope that wasn't too graphic.

Whenever, my kids and husband are not feeling well and this is hard to admit because I'm feeling a bit unworthy to be called 'Mother' or 'good wife' at this point today, I must admit that I outwardly try to be supportive but inside I'm screaming...Oh, for crying out loud, just get over it already. I know, I know this is just appalling. My 'mother of the year' and 'wife of the year' badge is on the verge of being revoked. In some strange way, subconsciously perhaps I think that if I don't admit that they really are not well, that it is not really happening and therefore, things can continue in a normal fashion...on the fast, we can't stop for nothing, got to keep going track. Or maybe I am just overwhelmingly tired and subconsciously my body cannot possibly handle anything more that is going to take too much of me. In either case, I realize that is not the proper response and am ashamed to admit such.

My husband and son came home from seeing the doctor today and guess what? Yep, you guessed it. It wasn't a little bitty cold and it isn't some allergy. It's strep throat. Ooops, I say to myself, perhaps I should have been a little bit more tuned into my families well-being instead of thinking that they just need to snap out of it and get back to work! And ooops, perhaps I shouldn't try to diagnose illnesses since I have not been to medical training.

Now that you know this little secret of mine, I want you to know that I am striving to be better. I am desperately trying to think of something to make up for my inadequacy. Any suggestions would be helpful. For now this is all I got.....

Maybe I'll go make some chicken soup. Doesn't that heal everything??

4 comments:

momwithbrownies said...

"Maybe I'll go make some chicken soup. Doesn't that heal everything??"

No. Brownies cure everything. :-)

Unknown said...

Maybe I'll go make some chicken soup. Doesn't that heal everything??" No. Brownies cure everything. :-)

NO cookies and ice cream cure everything

momwithbrownies said...

I'm the mom with brownies so I have to say brownies. LOL

Anonymous said...

Well you do go in to sugar schock and Go crazy so maybe but Nah. Ice cream and cookies.