Monday, October 30, 2006

A Family Of Contest Winners!

After a trip to the fruit and vegetable market in early October, my darling husband brought home pumpkin coloring pages for the kids to enter a pumpkin coloring contest. My response was less than positive. I just don't see the sense in entering a contest when surely it is obvious that you won't win. The odds are just not in our favor. Besides that, my kids are just so naive that they think every contest they enter, they will surely win. I can't handle the disappointment.

My husband's philosophy on this subject matter is....why not try. What does it hurt? Be positive, he says. And he is just as bad as the kids. He constantly asked me if I heard from so and so when the deadline comes round. Or did I check my email for that long awaited news that he actually won the laptop of his dreams. I am, of course, the voice of reason. No, dear....not yet I say sarcastically (under my breath, I'm saying...yeah, right!).

My other thought on the matter is that they are all rigged. It's all for advertisement. They get all these people's hopes up, get them running to the mailboxes or running to the phone hoping beyond hope that they were the pick of the draw. I, on the other hand, know that nobody will be calling or emailing or sending me an 'official' letter nor will they be dropping by my residence to inform me that we were 'the' ones (nor will I answer the door wrapped in a towel..should that ever happen).

I was out and about with the kids in tow. I come home, got the zoo in the house and my mother informs me that Grace had won third prize! She was to come to the store to pick up her ribbon and her pumpkin. Wow! I thought to myself. This is something to ponder. I then went to the phone to get my messages and there was yet another call on there saying that Brad had won third prize. That he needed to come to the store to pick up his ribbon and pumpkin. Again, wow! I couldn't believe it. I am beginning to wonder if I need to rethink my position on this contest thing.

A couple days later after we were out and about, I come home to find out we got yet another call to let us know that Aaron had won third prize. That he needed to come in for his ribbon and pumpkin. I could not believe what was going on. I must admit that I am truly amazed at how many of our kids won. On the other hand, I felt so bad that Ryan didn't win. His sad eyes tore at my heart. I almost took him with me so I could buy him yet another pumpkin. But the voice of reason said...what are you going to do with all these pumpkins???

Brad has big plans for his. He thinks that his mother is going to cook up the pumpkin and make tons of pumpkin pies for him. I hate to think what Aaron thinks and Grace's...well...it's a bit squishy today. I don't think it's going to make it. I don't want to tell her that because she has named it, Punky the Pumpkin and has carefully taken care of it. I'm just not sure how to break the news to her. And, oh, how do you tell them they don't last forever....they are nice to have for a 'short' time but we need not make a home for them in the garage. I hate to think what they will be like by Spring!

No comments: