Tuesday, November 28, 2006

My Mortification

I have three boys. They are a lively bunch. Sometimes, even though I am their Mother, I just don't know what to think about all that boy stuff. I remember trying to play army men with our oldest when he was five. He was very kind to me but I knew I just wasn't playing to his expectation. I am sure when you are in rapid fire, you don't worry about getting messy in the mud. And perhaps Barbie has no place amongst the army camps. She is rather like Goliath stomping on all the little green fellows.

I also wonder for entertainment purposes if the neighbors watch our house sway to and fro during the winter time as our boys run from one room to the next roaring at each other. As I sit there watching this take place, the only thing I can say is either to yell, (because they can't hear me over the loud din) "Would you settle down and be quiet" or to quietly sit there, shaking my head while waiting for it to come to a halt. In either case, it's only temporary till they once again get their momentum.

But today....is way beyond my comprehension. I've had these moments before but not necessarily with this particular neighbor (the one on the right of us). I do believe they think us to be a strange breed. First, we are 'those strange homeschoolers'. Second, we have all these children. Third, some of those children run outside before their Mother even realizes what is happening in their diaper and bare legs during the cold months. Fourth, we are Christians. Fifth, we have so many children. And lastly, we have so many children.

I was busy getting dinner cooked, taking care of our Kara and just all around not paying attention due to this and that. In comes our five year old announcing that he was done playing outside because his friend next door did something very, very bad and he couldn't play any more today. I innocently asked, Oh? What did he do. Ryan promptly answered that they were playing the potty game and the neighbor kid pooped in the bucket. I brushed it off as some child game but scolded Ryan that we don't play potty games. It just isn't appropriate. But then he responded with the fact that he had peed in the bucket.

At that moment, I realized that the dear child was not pretending as I had previously thought. They actually were playing a reality game and thought how funny it would be to actually poop and pee in a bucket. And my (and I stress the word 'my') child came into our home and got enough toilet paper to wipe up after themselves. Uggghhh....I thought to myself. What was the neighbor thinking of us now???

After I pulled myself out from under the table and started thinking that maybe just maybe I would show my face to the world again, I was wondering just what to think of all this. I could be excited that Ryan wanted to make sure everything was cleaned up properly which could mean that my future daughter in law will be a happy woman. Or should I be concerned at the situation and promptly call a therapist. But then there is a notion that this is all natural to the world of boys. A world I will never understand.

No comments: