Tuesday, November 21, 2006

A Woman Of Many Occupations....

As a Mother, the things I do with and for my children ebb and flow throughout life. This past week, I've been dealing with sick children. Our three year old has been hit with a 'double header' as the doctor called it. Yes...a double ear infection. For some odd reason which I will never understand, it seems that everytime he gets a cold, it is followed by an ear infection. The poor kid has become so accustomed to it, sometimes he doesn't tell me until I notice he has sicky eyes and has been up more than down during the night. The doctor is always amazed at his smiling face when he completes his exam and almost always says that he doesn't understand why Mr. Aaron is not laying around crying about his ear hurting. And almost always leaves the room shaking his head in amazement.

The doctor has prescribed the antibiotic of choice which apparently doesn't taste too bad since I'm not getting any flak. I sometimes wonder about medicine though...is the side effects better or worse than the sickness?? The antibiotic has seemed to helped the ear situation but has left a most undesirable after effect. It has to do with most unpleasantness on my part and a very raw bum for my child.

Our six month old is also sick. The doctor said she didn't need an antibiotic of choice but an antihistamine of choice. After a week and a half, I'm not noticing a difference but am hopeful that it will indeed work itself out. However, because she is a baby and babies always seem to have 'unpleasant' issues that shoot up the back and get all over the place, I must be there to help make that right. Just so she remains clean and cute as a button.

And then there is the five year old, who seems to have 'very unpleasant' issues from time to time, that need attending to quickly and swiftly as we don't want someone dropping by unannounced to be met with an aroma that is making their visit uncomfortable.

The thing I find most disconcerting is the fact that Murphy's law always seems to be lingering in the midst. In my mind, these unpleasantries should come at different times throughout life...never should they be at the same time. But as many of you have experienced, it's all or nothing.

As I was cleaning up after the many cases of unpleasantness throughout my day, it occurred to me that I have added a new occupation to my already long list. I've become my children's own personal bidet. Sometimes it is what it is. Pleasant or unpleasant.

No comments: