Monday, June 18, 2007

Church Attendance

I just have to ask this question and maybe I don't want to hear the answer but I'll ask anyway.

Does anyone ever wonder why they go to church?

Let me explain my question. I have five children. Three of them don't go into their classes. And now I have an almost seventh grader who sits with us. So that makes four. He's really not a problem. He doesn't try to run between the chairs and roll around under the chairs. Nor does he find it amusing to hear his voice echo when he uses his outside voice on the inside of the church. He doesn't constantly wiggle and squirm and drive his Hot Wheels over my head.


I've had people at church tell me to force them to go and then walk away. Well, I tried that. It wasn't pretty for the teacher or for the other kids in the class. Have you ever heard of the domino effect?

Yesterday, Kara got us up very early. Since we were having Father's Day company later that day, we had this brilliant idea that would send shock waves across the church......we went to the early service. I never thought that I would be able to pull it off but yet, found ourselves there, sitting in our seats BEFORE the singing was over. We were even sitting in the s-a-n-t-u-a-r-y. We don't do this anymore since many children equals distraction to all around us. We usually sit in the atrium where they have the service up on the 'big screen' and kid noises are not frowned upon as much.

However, on this particular Sunday since we made it to the early service and no one was in the atrium, we decided to give the sanctuary a try. All was going pretty well minus the fidgeting, squirming and loud whispers. Then the pastor starts speaking and he's explaining about a song he heard that doesn't resolve itself. He then proceeds to say that it drives him crazy and he wants to finish it for them and in a sing songy type voice he says "da-daaaa". Right at the perfect moment, between sentences when all the world and congregation was quiet, Aaron, in his not so soft voice, yells out "da-daaaa" sending his parents running for the door to quickly exit out of there hoping that nobody realized it was coming from our family.

My only thought....we are not sanctuary people. Maybe we'll try again when our children are grown. And my other thought.....I'm not sure exactly what the sermon was all about as I think I might have heard maybe five minutes of it or so. But this is an every Sunday occurrence.

Every Sunday, we scramble to get to church, sit there with busy children, spend much of the service fussing at them to shush and then in less then 90 minutes, it's all over and we are headed home. Sometimes I wonder why I bother going. Now don't get me wrong. I love going to church. The praise and worship time is very filling to my soul. And I do realize that all the fussing we do with our kids is only temporary and will be a distant memory as they grow. I need to just muster up some perseverance to keep at it until that time comes.

My remembrance of my childhood does not include what I'm going through. I only remember other people's families quietly sitting in church paying attention and I certainly don't remember them bothering the congregation around them. We did not have a special room to go into with fussing children. What did poor, whipped parents do back in the day? How did my mother-in-law handle six kids sitting there pretty as little peacocks. Perhaps I've got bad parenting skills or perhaps, my kids are just out of control. Maybe I'm not scary enough.....


8 comments:

momwithbrownies said...

My maternal grandmother had 15 children. She sent them all to church when they were like 7 or so. She kept the little ones home with her. When the last of the brood had gotten to the age where they wouldn't stir to much in church she began attending and did so until she could no longer go because of old age.

My paternal grandmother beat the snot out of her children and put the gear of God in them from day one. LOL They didn't so much as make a peep or move during church.

So to answer your question... I have no idea what the answer is. LOL

momwithbrownies said...

"Fear of God" Not "gear" sorry
:-)

HISchild said...

There is a movement of family worship but it is few and far between. Usually consists of the quiverfull, letting the children sleep with you set.

They also frown on age segregated classes and want all ages in attendance for bible study and worship/preaching.

Maybe you could start your own!

Heather said...

This is my two cents' worth.

Jesus said, "Suffer the little children and bring them to Me." He was telling the adults to stuff their complaints about crying babies where the sun don't shine; they belong near Him.

I've taken my 3 to Mass on my own. We don't have Sunday school classes for the kids to attend; we don't have a cry room. We have a vestibule where our little ones have been taken when they really get out of hand.

How else are they going to learn to behave if they never go?

momwithbrownies said...

Ah yes Heather P. BUT...

"Where two or more are gathered together there shall I be also." Mathew 18:20

You can bring them unto Him at home too. Church buildings don't have a market on God. :-)

momwithbrownies said...

oooo...Heather W...You've started something now! LOL

Heather said...

Remember, Story, that I'm the poorly catechized cradle Catholic. I'll consult with the cardinal (aka my husband) and he can explain why actually going to the building is necessary. :)
From the Catholic perspective, anyway.

As far as starting something, it's so much more fun to discuss things with you in person, I'd rather do that! :)

Anonymous said...

If you want the biblical perspective, it really says...

"Where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.–Matt. 18:20"

IMO that's church, no matter if there's a roof or open sky over your head. Church is about gathering together, meeting with God and then taking that to the world.