Saturday, June 30, 2007

A Discovery....

Brad was rummaging around in the garage and decided to climb a latter to see what's up in the garage attic. He found a couple of boxes that looked interesting and got them down. Upon opening up the boxes, the kids eyes became wide as saucers. But before I tell you what they discovered, let's take a step back in time....

Long, long ago....(when I was a youngun')

My Dad was heavily involved as a leader for years and years in the Wednesday night program for boys at the Baptist church we attended. One of his favorite things was when they helped the boys in the program build and race their Pinewood Derby cars.

My Dad loved to work with wood. That's what he would do when he came home from working at the plant every day or on weekends. It was that or working in his garden. So when Pinewood Derby time came around, there was a lot of activity going on in our basement which we called the 'Dungeon'. This was his work room where he kept his woodworking machines like several different kinds of saws and such. You should have saw the sawdust pile! He was very creative and every year when it came time to make a new car, he came up with a new idea to see how it would race. It also made for many good times and memories with the boys.













































He passed away in 1993 but I kept his collection of cars. Some he made with his kids and some were his own creation. It seemed like a shame to just throw them out. I know that they don't mean anything to anybody but it was a part of who he was. This, my friends, is what my son discovered in the box up in the attic (plus a couple of empty mud wasp nests as a bonus find).

As my boys, took each one out of the box, it became history time for them. They listened intently as I explained about some of them and all about their Grandpa David. It was a wonderful time to fill them with some of the stories of my childhood and to pass on some of their heritage. I knew as they were carefully playing with the cars that, that would soon come to an end. Boys just are not GENTLE with such things as cars and trucks! I was just fine with that. This moment was worth me saving them all these years.They've been having an immense amount of fun playing with those cars. Somehow watching them play with them brings a smile to my face. I think my Dad would have been very happy to see my boys playing with those cars and he probably would have been down on the floor playing right there with them.....

3 comments:

momwithbrownies said...

What a talent he had!

I'll bet your boys will never forget them. Gotta love memory makers. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey there Heather, this is a neat blog. I am so glad that you saved those cars. They look beautiful. I am not sure if you know this but a number of those cars are mine, to include that one that I made (with dad's help) in first grade that won first place at the regional pinewood derby race in Detroit. I would love to get a look at those when we visit in August and our boys would love to see them as well.

Unknown said...

LOL good luck on that... The Fact that they are almost DESTROYED!!!!! BOOM!!! GONE!!! =D
(Not Being Sassy) =D
They all are there but... Wheels are flying everywhere pieces falling off.