Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Detours....

Sometimes you find yourself truckin' down life's highway and all of the sudden out of the blue you come upon a pretty neon orange colored sign that says, "Detour". It's not something you've expected but you've got to make a decision. This week, our family has hit one of those 'detour signs'.

I got a call from my Grandma yesterday. She had a bit of news about one of our family members that was very sad. I won't go into all the details but the main point was that two little girls were removed from the home and put into the foster care system. Only a blood relative could get them out. As she was telling me this, my heart started to race and my mind was going into action. Do we know a relative that would take them was the question asked. I wasn't sure who or if anybody would be willing. Then I started thinking about the possibility of us.....

After getting off the phone, I promptly went to tell my husband what was going on. He said to me...Why don't we take them? A flood of questions and what if's started running through my mind. I never really considered being a foster parent. Would this make things sticky with the family? How would people take it? The money is a huge issue. Where would we put them? There are so many things to think about and work out here like...space. But I agreed to call the social worker.

The social worker asked me why I would want two more if I already had five. All I have to say is....the more the merrier. That, and maybe I'm a nut. If this goes through, I'm totally getting a sign for my door! Welcome to the Nuthouse!

On a more serious note, I keep thinking about those two little girls who our family hasn't been able to be around because of the situation but if we were to take them, they would be able to get to know some of their family members. I know this could just be temporary but we don't know what God has in store in the temporary. Perhaps this is one place God can use our family to reach out and help. Sometimes God asks us to go beyond ourselves and do things that make absolutely no sense. I wonder if this is one of those times?

It is going to mean huge changes and our kids said they were up for the challenge....well, most of them. Our oldest, is a little concerned. He said that it's already crazy here. But in the end, his only comment was that his babysitting fee was going up. I guess that means he's adjusting to the idea.

There are a lot of things that have to get checked out and prepared before this all comes together. I ask that you would pray for us, that if this is God's will that all the details would be worked out smoothly and the transition would go well.

1 comment:

momwithbrownies said...

"Sometimes God asks us to go beyond ourselves and do things that make absolutely no sense. I wonder if this is one of those times?"

This made me laugh. :-)

Prayers going up for you. I can't wait to help move stuff around. Looks like that pink room was meant for more than 2. :-)