Sunday, September 02, 2007

Again with the Sunday's

Sundays are always interesting.

I woke up this morning behind schedule. My kids didn't even wake me up. Most days I would have welcomed this with open arms but in order for me to get everyone ready and out the door on time, I have to be up at a certain time. I'm not complaining, mind you....my husband was trying to do something nice for me by keeping the kids away from my bedside. He just chose the wrong day to do it. I didn't want to tell him anything but how much I appreciated his efforts for fear it would never happen again.

I did manage to get myself and the kids ready and we did arrive at church around the same time we usually get there....yes, there was still singing going on and I don't mean at the end of the service. This should tell you something. We arrived before the sermon started even though I'm not sure how important that is since we only hear bits and pieces of it. We spend more time chasing Aaron around the atrium because it's more fun to sit on the base of the pedestals and it's more fun to crawl under the seats....and oh, let's lay on the floor and put our feet up on the seats while singing a song we made up is even better. Then there is the trips to the bathroom with Ryan, trips to the water fountain because we are soooo very thirsty. So thirsty it just can't wait. Thus the cycle....water goes in, water must come out. Just don't ask me what the sermon was about and we'll be all set.

We happened to be having communion. How do you take communion seriously when one of your children asks you what the prune juice is for. We decided to let our two oldest take communion since they know what it is for and about. But what I wasn't counting on was when one kids gets to do something the other's just have to too. All of the sudden, I have two boys who are six and three asking for a snack. Why can't we have a snack? I need a dwink. I'm hungry. Why do they get to have a snack and we don't??? Mom...mom...mom...mmmmoooommmm!

After rounding up the children, we headed home because I was so in need of a nap. I think I mentioned that fact to the people around me as I was dragging my weary body out of church. They just smiled and nodded. I don't think they quite understood what I was getting at. I am telling you, it's like getting a holy workout. Just go to church with five kids!

I tried laying on the couch for a few minutes to rest my eyes but the pats on the face because I just have to ask you a question did not provide for a restful experience. I recently bought a book for Ryan and I to put a paper dinosaur together. He loves dinosaurs and I thought what a lovely time we would have together putting this project together. I think I wasn't thinking about the nagging to do it that would come with the package. He was quite excited about it and nagged me for three days to do it with him. Next time...I'm waiting till we have time to do it RIGHT now, right then before I reveal what I have in my hands.

So we are sitting there at the table putting together this dinosaur. There was cutting out to do which Ryan wanted me to do. He wanted to do the gluing. I was glad he was willing to do that since I wasn't sure what the end result would look like had it been the other way around. He kept checking the picture to make sure it was looking like what he saw.

We had the head finished and I was working on the body when all of the sudden....WHAM, I get hit in the forehead with the dinosaur head that was followed by growly noises. Yes, my three year old was using the head as a Goliath-type figure stomping on all our papers sending them flying to the floor along with the directions and of course, you have to have boyish growly noises to go with everything you are playing with. It's for the whole effect. My day is complete....I've been properly hit in the head with a flying object.

After politely telling Aaron that Mommy isn't in the mood for objects thrown at her head, we continued on. He must have been feeling left out as he decided it was necessary to sit right next to me. Since there wasn't a chair, the table is where he decided he was sitting. Try cutting out dinosaur parts while being bumped in the arm a jillion times. I hope Ryan's not going to get the magnifying glass out for inspection! All of the sudden, I have three little fingers flash before my eyes that had something greenish on them. I was about to ask him what he had when instantly my sentence stopped before I could even finish it. Green stuff on a three year's finger can only mean one thing......his fingers were in his pull-up....ughhhhh!!!

After washing his hands and cleaning out his fingernails, I began to question (once again) why he would ever do such a thing. I know, I find myself asking that same thing over and over again with no answer in sight. He's just a boy....a rascally one, at that.

I finally got to the tail of the dinosaur. All the parts were attached and it was standing. I was so happy. Then, Aaron struck again. He grabbed the dinosaur with growly noises echoing throughout the house and the dinosaur came tumbling down in pieces. Ryan cried. Mom cried. Aaron laughed. Not in a mean way. More like, that was way cool...do it again, Mom. Back to the drawing board....after I've had some deep, deep sleep....in a couple days.....when all this fun has wore off and I'm ready for more.

And this, is why Sunday's are interesting.

2 comments:

HISchild said...

All I can say is "OH MY!"

E

momwithbrownies said...

LOL...I actually said, "OH MY!" as I clicked the comment icon to write this...and what should I see but E's comment. ROFL So I'll just say...

"ditto"