Saturday, January 17, 2009

God Values Us

It's been a tough week. Losing somebody you love is excruciatingly painful. It is amazing how it affects you physically, emotionally and mentally. It leaves a gaping hole. You assume that person is always going to be there, that there will be time to build on relationships, create memories and time to let that person know that you are connected as our lives touch and intersect.

We need to remember to tell people just how much we care, how much we appreciate them. We've become so accustomed to keeping people at arm's length not wanting them to get too close or maybe we are afraid that our care, our love will be rejected. God created us to need each other. He uses us to minister, encourage, to love and to tangibly show his love through us and our relationships with each other. Aaron, our five year old, grabbed my face this morning and staring into my eyes, he told me how much he loved me and that he would never give up on this family. He is pretty wise...always giving out bits of wisdom way beyond his years. He knows that Uncle Joe died but we haven't told him more than that so his words touched my heart. His compassion for those hurting overwhelms me and I know that God placed that there in his heart. I am challenged by him to show that same compassion and love to those around me, to look at those I care about and speak words of compassion, love and of hope.

I don't think Joe realized how much of an impact he had on the lives he touched. As I looked around last night at the funeral home at all the people that were there and then listening to the people give testimony of Joe's life and the memories of who he was today at the memorial service, I just thought that even with the challenges he faced, God used him mightily.

One of the things that stood out today was something the pastor spoke of. He talked about our value to God. Satan has been successful in stealing our value to God in our human minds. I've been dealing with that myself this past year. Value. Do you believe that you have value in God's eyes? I always look at my short comings and how much I fail God but He doesn't look at us that way. He looks at us through pure, unconditional love. Through the blood, God sees us as clean, without blemish.

Satan so wants us to feel unlovable, unloved, full of misery and grief. He wants us to feel like we have no purpose, no value. I don't think Joe understood how very much he was valued and loved not just by his family and friends but to God. If you are struggling with those thoughts and feelings, I encourage you to let God into your heart. He is the one who gives you purpose and value. He is the author and creator of love and of you. All he wants is for you to come unto him. If you open your heart to him, he can begin showing you how valuable you are and how much he can fill the emptiness you feel. He just wants you wherever you are, in whatever condition you are in. He doesn't care. He is waiting, my friend.

1 comment:

HISchild said...

God loves us; no matter the condition. Even if you don't think you have any impact you DO. Thank you for reminding us.