Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Crisis: Version I, Episode V

My husband went in a couple times this past week to get his liver enzyme levels checked. He is still feeling quite lousy and in pain. The doctor called him on Thursday evening to let him know that the enzyme levels were still coming down, although, very slowly.

Saturday evening, he got another call from the doctor telling him that she was concerned about the pain he was still having and that she wanted him to talk to a surgeon on Monday. She said they may have to do a liver biopsy. My mind began to go in all different directions. I am too young to be a widow. As I was letting fear take over, I began to wonder why the heck a doctor would tell you that so that you have two days to fret and worry. Why can't they just call you on Monday morning and tell you to come in to the office a hour later or at least have weekend appointments available. If I was a doctor, I certainly wouldn't want my patients fretting any more than necessary.

The long, agonizingly long weekend finally came to a close and Monday arrived. The appointment time came and went. Finally, the verdict was out. The surgeon was fairly certain that it is his gallbladder. They found some proteins in his blood work that is only found in the ducts of the gallbladder. The recommendation was that he have it out. She did inform him he was quite the puzzle. She doesn't realize that is the way my husband likes to do things....never uncomplicated.

His surgery is scheduled for Thursday. He must be at the hospital at 6 a.m. and his surgery is tentatively set for 7:30. He can't have anything to eat or drink after midnight and he must be accompanied by an adult. Certainly, he would have chosen one that is a morning person but instead he gets me. Miss non communicate until she's had her second cup of coffee and definitely not before 10 a.m. I suppose I can make an exception this one time but only for him. It's one of the 'perks' that I give out only to a privileged few.

If you think about us in the next 24 hours, I wouldn't mind if you prayed for us. I'm a bit on edge and he's a little nervous.

No comments: