Tuesday, March 20, 2007

It's A Good Day...

Have you ever had something happen to you that set your heart to soaring above the clouds? Have you ever had the urge to do a happy dance because something so wonderful has happened? Have you ever grabbed hold of your child's hand and jumped up and down repeatedly until you both were laughing so hard you fell over?

These very things happened to me today! Our son who is the middle child, who has had a bit of emotional trauma since his sister was born ten months ago taking away much needed attention and who is already very dramatic in personality, has entered day five of pooping in the toilet!

This makes me a very happy mama. She squeals with delight when she is called to the restroom to be shown the surprise that her number three son has to show her. She has been known recently to dance excitedly around the house singing a song. She has also been seen jumping up and down yelling 'yeah, Ryan'....you are the man! When I asked him what changed his mind about going in the toilet, his response was simply this.....sometimes, Mom, a brain just has to change. My response:...for now...I'm enjoying the moment.

He has been rewarded with his favorite treat...a medium-sized slurpee from our friendly neighborhood 7-eleven. However, I must ask myself, how long I'm willing to go along with the slurpee a day keeps the poop in the toilet way of thinking. Then, I remember just a week ago, how much I running upstairs to do the not-so-silent scream into my pillow when he wasn't using the toilet. I could potentially be willing to run to 7-eleven for a very long time. It's worth it, my friends! Very, very worth it!

All of the children have found all this celebration that is exuding from my heart to be entirely to hysterical for them. My oldest, who is a fan of the 'Captain Underpants' books thought that he would share with me some insightful information from Chapter two of the "Captain Underpants and the Preposterous Plight of the Purple Potty People."

And I quote, straight from the book.......

Chapter Two: Those Wacky Grown-Ups

It's been said that adults spend the first two years of their children's lives trying to make them walk and talk....

It's the same way with potty training: Most adults spend the first few years of a child's life cheerfully discussing pee and poopies, and how important it is to learn to put your pee-pee and poo-poo in the potty like big people do.

But once children have mastered the art of toilet training, they are immediately forbidden to ever talk about poop, pee, toilets, and other bathroom-related subjects again. Such things are suddenly considered rude and vulgar, and are no longer rewarded with praise and cookies and juice boxes.

You are probably wondering, why would adults do that? Why would they encourage something one day discourage it the next?

The only answer I can think of is that adults are totally bonkers and should probably be avoided at all times.


As I read the above mentioned chapter, I thought how amusing it is to have your children bring you a ridiculous book that actually has a bit of wisdom.....perhaps us adults are bonkers but it's the children who have helped us become what we are.

No comments: