Thursday, March 01, 2007

Oh, No! Another Crisis!

If you haven't heard already...we've had yet another crisis to contend with. I recently took my husband to the emergency room with severe abdominal pains. Pain that as he described it, felt like his insides were trying to push their way to the outside. So bad that he could hardly talk or think, if you've ever given birth, I think you can relate.

I figured maybe he was having an adverse reaction to the antibiotic that he was taking and they would give him something for that and send us home. But instead, they ran many, many tests trying to figure out if it was his gallbladder, his liver, his heart or his pancreas which led to an overnight stay at the 'Cape Crittenton' in suite 627B.

What they found was a mystery. His liver enzymes were highly elevated putting his liver in distress. However, they aren't positively sure why that could be. One doctor says he was having a very rare reaction to the antibiotic shot, Rocephin, that he received the day before in the doctors office for his bronchitis. They told him to not get that shot again. Another doctor said it could have been some spinach he ate that night or even perhaps could be a virus.

After taking more blood and finding that his liver enzymes were indeed coming down, although very slowly, they felt confident that they would continue in that direction and released him to go home. He had to get more blood drawn this week and is waiting to hear what the results are when he goes in for his appointment next week.

He remains very tired and sore which can be discouraging when you want to be back to health very quickly and when the demands of life, job and family want you doing just what you were when you dropped off the line for a second to find out what was making you feel so awfully bad, can be a bit discouraging when all you want to do is take a moment to rest.

People are going to start wondering if my life is for 'real'. Do normal people have this many crises going on in their life? I wonder this myself sometimes. The answer is..yes! This is really happening to us. I tried waking myself up but then I realized I never did go to sleep. I know this is possible because I'm up more than I'm down and if there should ever be a night when I get a whole span of 6-8 hours in a row, I'm checking to see if everyone is breathing!

No comments: