Sunday, May 27, 2007

Remembering....

The day Bob was laid off and his job was sent to India, our lives have taken on a whole new adventure. One I've been fighting since the last time we tried an adventure similar to this. It's a scary thing to take on a business that you are solely responsible for. However, the peace that I have about it is simply baffling to me.

Many years ago, not long after we were married, we invested in a business start up company that was supposedly Christian based. We sunk quite a bit of money into it. We checked to see if they were part of the BBB and everything checked out just fine. However, after getting into it, we found that was not the case. After fighting with them over and over again, for them to follow through with their end, we were totally frustrated. One night, we got a call from an attorney in Florida who had somehow got our name. We found out that many people around the country were experiencing the same issues we were and decided to file a group claim against the company. It ended up that they were not a reputable company and ended up filing bankruptcy leaving many innocent people who had sunk their money into this, left with nothing.

About the same time, I had to have emergency surgery for a very, very bad gallbladder issue which also included blood poisoning. A few days in the hospital, a surgery and all the tests that went along with it during a time when we didn't have insurance added to our spiral down to one of the darkest periods in my life.

After trying to work with our creditors for months and them not being willing to be patient as we made payments, we lost everything and were forced into a corner we didn't want to be in. We ended up moving in with my Mother, we didn't have a car and our first child was only a year old. We agonized and agonized over what to do. Finally, we ended up filing bankruptcy.

God was so good to us during that time. My kids always have to hear me talk about the time when the only thing we had to eat on one particular week was potatoes. I made mashed potatoes, fried potatoes, baked potatoes till I was sick of them. I was so worried about Brad and what were we going to do to feed him. He was so little. But then God blessed us....He provided money under the door and in the mail from an anonymous giver. A couple churches donated food at Christmas and Thanksgiving. We were blessed with presents for Christmas that year.

Which brings me to my point....

Bob has always desired to have his own business. I've been waiting for years for this to go away but it hasn't. I must admit that I do believe that God has put this in him. He has been so patient with me knowing how scared I am of it due to what happened in the past. However, it is different this time. When Bob came home that day and informed us he had no job, I had an adjustment moment but overall I've been very much at peace about it. When we decided to start the business, I was/am a bit scared but also feel a calmness I can't explain about it. I believe that it's God giving us the opportunity to do what my husband desires to do and in the process I pray that He will use us to bless the people we come into contact with.

Even though nothing is certain, I know that whatever may come whether this business takes off or not, my dependence is on God. I believe that He will give us the wisdom to make the choices that come our way and when I'm scared, our faith in God will see us through.

I figure we are already farther ahead this time since everything went very well with his first customer and we were able to take our first check (mama dollar and papa dollar) to make a deposit into our newly opened business account. Yep, it's official....we're in business!

No comments: